Thursday, December 18, 2008

Finally!! (Zenfolio offers comments)

For several years I used PBase as my photo gallery (in fact, the gallery still exist at http://pbase.com/rboles). One of the things I really liked about PBase was the ability of people to leave comments about a photo or a gallery. I loved the feedback from family, friends, even total strangers who stumbled onto my work.

The feature even led to my first "published" work. The prestigious Field Museum in Chicago used one of my images of the Betatakin ruin in Arizona for an exhibit they have been running on Native American tribes. (It was a great thrill for me to visit the museum during a business trip and see my work there).

When I signed up at Zenfolio a year ago, the comments feature was not available, but was listed as Coming Soon. It was an issue with me that this feature was not yet available, but based on the status I went ahead and signed up. Zenfolio had a lot of things going for it over PBase - the biggest being unlimited storage sizes. I could keep full-size images there, which provided extra piece of mind. I back up my work to protect from a harddrive crash, but in the event of a fire/flood/etc I would be screwed. Now at least my best images are available somewhere else (even if they aren't the original files). I also really liked the look and feel of the galleries and slideshows, and the integrated printing with Mpix.

My 1 year subscription with Zenfolio just ended a few days ago. I reluctantly renewed, but was very angry that the promised comments feature was still not available.

Today, Christmas came early! Comments are here. I am thrilled. Now I just have to wait until someone leaves me a comment. Cue Jeopardy music. (and cue it for this blog as well).

-Rodney

No comments:

Post a Comment